The IDN pharmacy supply chain plays a vital role in patient outcomes. In today’s post-pandemic environment, hospital pharmacy executives continue to look for innovative methods of improving quality while keeping costs low. However, the uncertainty surrounding new and existing rules and more patient care occurring outside of hospitals has created complex challenges for pharmacy departments. This track will prepare you for 2021 and beyond as you examine the future of autonomous pharmacy to optimize operations, payment rule changes impacting outpatient and inpatient pharmacy, the outlook of the 340B program, specific changes to site-of-care, and much more.
Pharmacy Track: Outlook of 340B Program
Wednesday, September 15, 2021 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Amid lawsuits from pharmaceutical manufacturers and a new HHS administration, the 340B Program faces an uncertain future. For pharmacy leaders, the unpredictability of reimbursements impacts your ability to care for patients, your supply chain operations, and your financial outcomes. In this session, we will cut through the uncertainty and review the outlook of 340B Program, including the current status of litigation and the Biden administration’s actions to date. We’ll also offer strategies to reduce the impact of these reimbursement uncertainties.
- Analyze strategies to plan for and manage reimbursement uncertainties.
- Explain the status of litigation and its impact on pharmacy leaders.
- Outline the Biden administration’s position and actions surrounding the 340B Program.
Pharmacy Track: Specialty Pharmacy
Wednesday, September 15, 2021 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
According to a recent report by CVS Health, specialty medications accounted for 52% of drug spending in 2020. Although specialty pharmacy offers life-changing medications for patients, there are many operational and financial challenges pharmacists must consider. How should pharmacy leaders manage the ever-growing demand for specialty medications? Join us as we explore a variety of topics in specialty pharmacy, including a review of in-house versus third-party specialty pharmacies, current laws and regulations, strategies to control costs, and much more.
- Explain strategies to manage the increasing demand for specialty medications.
- Outline current and future specialty pharmacy laws and regulations.
- Formulate plans of action to control the costs of specialty medications.
Pharmacy Track: The Future of Autonomous Pharmacy
Monday, September 20, 2021 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
As pharmacy leaders, you have an increasingly strategic role in supporting patients and clinicians through medication management. For many pharmacists, this process can be unnecessarily manual, time-consuming, and error prone. Leveraging technology to automate medication management can be key to improving workflows, clinician satisfaction, and patient outcomes. Join us as we discuss all aspects of autonomous pharmacy, including the autonomous pharmacy framework, and discover how fully autonomous pharmacy operations could benefit your IDN.
- Explain the autonomous pharmacy framework and your pharmacy’s current stage in the framework.
- Outline strategies to implement autonomous pharmacy technologies into your IDN pharmacy.
- Evaluate the benefits and drawbacks of autonomous pharmacy operations.
Pharmacy Track: Drug Pricing
Wednesday, September 22, 2021 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
According to the National Academy for State Health Policy, more than 45 states have enacted laws relating to drug pricing since 2017. While the end goal is to lower drug costs through greater pricing transparency and more efficient distribution models, these complex and varied laws have a deep impact on pharmacy leaders. We’ll review the current state of drug pricing laws at the national and state level, discuss changes to drug pricing in 2022, and explore strategies to manage changes to drug pricing.
- Outline current federal and state laws as well as proposed legislation impacting drug pricing.
- Analyze expected drug pricing changes in 2022.
- Evaluate strategies to manage and comply with differing laws and regulations.
Pharmacy Track: Payment Rules Affecting Inpatient and Outpatient Pharmacy
Thursday, September 23, 2021 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
For pharmacists, any change to payment rules and pricing models impacts your ability to care for patients and manage your pharmacy operations. As the COVID-19 pandemic concludes, the question remains: what will happen to COVID-era payment rules and guidelines now? Join us as we review the 2022 payment rules affecting inpatient and outpatient pharmacy, site of care changes, analyze changes to payment guidelines on the horizon, and discuss strategies to mitigate these changes.
- Explain the 2022 payment guidelines impacting inpatient and outpatient pharmacy.
- Outline future payment rule trends and developments.
- Formulate mitigation strategies for payment guideline changes.